Sunday, May 4, 2014

A Chubby Baby and Oliver's New Word

Oliver learned a new word this week: chemo.  I suppose it was inevitable and there are far worse things he could learn to say.  We talked about what chemo is and how it is helping daddy.  It makes my heart ache a bit though to hear him say it.  

Round #6 is over.  Zach is feeling much better than he did 2 weeks ago after his first round of irinotecan.  They upped his anti-nausea meds on Friday during treatment and that has helped keep the nausea at bay.  He even managed 18 holes of golf yesterday...but was completely wiped out after.  2 weeks ago his first round of irinotecan was awful.  So we are very thankful he is feeling pretty good.  He has 2 more rounds--Friday, May 16 and Friday, May 30.  We will rescan in early June and go from there.  Our prayer is that his lymph nodes are responding well to the irinotecan and a clinical trial won't be necessary.  

Zach is no longer have difficulties eating.  The radiation in March and April shrunk the esophageal tumor.  Although he still uses the feeding tube at night, it isn't a dire necessity like it used to be.  He's put on the 10 pounds he lost earlier this winter.  

I taught middle school English and worked in the Gifted and Talented field before I become a mom.  With new state requirements if I wanted to teach English again I would need an English endorsement.  So I began taking classes a few years ago and finished my final class the week Max was born.  But I still had the Praxis looming over my head.  In late February I began studying...hard.  My wonderful mom kept the boys every day for several hours so I could study.  I took the test in April and got word this weekend that I passed!  I am so thankful.  This means that I am now qualified to not only teach middle school English again but I also can teach at the high school level.  Before Zach was diagnosed I had planned to teach on-line so I could stay home.  With so many unknowns regarding Zach's health I am not sure now what I will do this fall...but at least I passed the Praxis and I have options should the need arise.

My days are now busy being mom again.  I no longer have to leave my boys for hours each day to study.  It has been wonderful to have lazy mornings at home and not have to study.  All of this down time means I have plenty of time for taking pictures.  You've been warned!

Oliver enjoys playing in the dirt.  He's all boy!

Zach and Oliver love Grinkers.  Unfortunately Oliver has now figured out that games require money. He will no longer pretend to play each game with "GAME OVER" flashing across the screen.

Maximus is a chubby, happy baby.  

He loves to pull his foot into his mouth and suck on his big toe.  This is a habit we will need to break.  

A beautiful day!

Max loves his thumb even more that his big toe.  I guess that's a good thing. 

Stare down contest between Max and Max the Bunny.

Max's first taste of solid food.  "You mean I have to get rid of this delicious thumb for THAT?!"

He's sold--loves bananas!

Family time at Jabbers.  

Oliver taking a quick break from playing.  It is a rare occasion not to see this boy on the go!

Oliver's a good shot!  Grandma Kris gave the boys the hoop for Easter.  Best Easter gift ever!

Max smiling and happy as usual.  

Zach and Oliver at our church's Easter egg hunt.  We made the mistake of showing up early.  Oliver was very troubled by the fact that he had to wait 20 minutes before he could collect some of the 35,000 Easter eggs...  


...Thankfully the one thing in the world that could distract him was there.  They had fun chasing each other around.

Oliver filled his basket halfway, realized the eggs were filled with goodies and promptly began eating the candy.  










Max was relegated to riding in the Ergo.  No complaints from either of us though!

Max and Oliver on Easter Sunday.  Such cute boys!

Family picture time--apparently the yellow loader is also a part of our family.  

Grandma Kris and Oliver!

Kris and Zach enjoying some sun during Oliver's second Easter egg hunt.


Mitch and his girlfriend Jessica (or "Gaga" as Oliver calls her.)

Mitch, my mom Kathi, my grandma "Cokee" and me.

1 comment: