Thursday, May 29, 2014

May Updates: A Busy Month!

I have not posted in awhile because May is a crazy month for our family--Mother's Day, countless birthdays including Zach's and mine, and our anniversary.

Zach has had a few complications with his feeding tube this month which included a trip to the doctor on his birthday.  Nothing says "Happy Birthday!" quite like spending an afternoon in the doctor's office to work out the kinks.  But Zach hasn't used the tube in nearly a month.  He is able to eat normally and is had been very good about cutting out dairy, most breads and sugar.  

Zach's 7th round 2 weeks ago came and went with few side effects.  What a difference Irinotecan is compared to the toxic DCF earlier this year!  His 8th round begins tomorrow morning (Friday).  PET scans are scheduled for Wednesday, June 11 and we will know the results on June 13.  We continue to hope and pray (as I know you do too) that the cancer in the lymph nodes is responding to the Irinotecan.  

Last weekend Zach and I enjoyed a wonderful trip to San Diego thanks to a dear friend, Bruce Christiansen.  Bruce and Zach had originally discussed a "guys' weekend" to see the Cubs and Padres play. When we found out their 3-game series would be played over Memorial Day weekend (our anniversary) Bruce offered to take care of our flight and hotel so we could enjoy the weekend.  We spent time at the beach, visited the San Diego zoo, toured the USS Midway, enjoyed amazing food, spent some time with my aunt and uncle, and cheered the Cubs on to a win.  We've seen the Cubs play 3 times before in Chicago and each time they lost.  It was fun to finally witness a win--miracles DO happen!  

Nathaniel is now home and living with us for awhile. Go visit him at the downtown Lucky Fin's! 

Zach and Oliver enjoying the morning outside.

Max posing for the camera.  Unlike his big brother he LOVES a photo opportunity!

Max.  A chubby and perfect 7 month old.

Oliver wearing his favorite accessory--Max's chew beads. And he's SMILING!

Zach and I celebrated his 35th birthday with a massage and Thai food.

Max chowing down on frozen bananas.

Oliver "bonking" Max on the head. A favorite pastime of Oliver's...not so much for Max. Go figure. 

Oliver and Max came shopping with me (how nice of them to join!) and Max hammed it up for the photo op. 

Max!

Oliver eating bark chips. We get creative with snacks in this house!

Oliver built a pillow fort.

Max sat on his own for the first time on my birthday.

What a great present for this mama!

Birthday selfie with Max.

Selfie with Oliver who actually smiled!  Which is why I look so stinkin' happy.

Oliver and me on Mother's Day morning.

Zach's brother Ben, Max and great grandma Laura.

Zach with his birthday cake!  We celebrated his birthday a few days early on Mother's Day with family.

Oliver enjoying a giant slice of heaven.

 Cousin Brett and Max!  Such cute boys.

5 generations--grandma Shirley, great grandma Laura, Zach, Max and mom Kris.  

Max snuggling with me for another Mother's Day photo op.

Max taking a bath.  Santa bought him a new sink for Christmas and finally installed it in May. Better late than never--he loves his new "spa!"

Grampy Pat and Oliver planting.  I thought my dad would bring over a flower..instead he brought over a watermelon plant.  I'm sure it won't get THAT big, right?!

Zach and Kris.

The hubs and I went out to celebrate my birthday.

My brother Mitch and his girlfriend Jessica.  We take my mom to lunch on the river in Horseshoe Bend every Mother's Day.  Although we celebrated it a week late this year we had perfect weather.

Max and mom.

The Ingersoll Family! No one is crying, squirming or throwing a fit.  Success!

Max and Zach.


Mitch, my mom Kathi and me.  

Mitch and Max.

Headed down to San Diego!

 My dear Aunt Kathy and Uncle Carl.  They treated us to a fantastic lunch, great conversation and a personal tour of the USS Midway.  Carl is a navy man and knows it all. A perfect afternoon with them!

Touring the USS Midway.

Kathy, Carl and Zach.

 At Petco field cheering the Cubs on to victory!

Baseball selfie!

A happy ending to a great night of baseball.


1 comment:

  1. I loved this update! I will be thinking of you on the 11th and 13th and hope this current round goes as smoothly as the last. Zach looks really great! I love all the happy photos. Happy birthday (x2) and Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete