Friday, November 21, 2014

Seattle Updates

We made the decision last month to continue with treatment with the hope it would buy us time before a spot became available this month. The research coordinator from Seattle called yesterday afternoon.  They offered Zach a spot in their clinical trial that would begin next week.  However, the trial protocol requires that Zach has a 4 week chemo break before he begins the trial.  Although he had his last treatment 2 1/2 weeks ago, he has been taking a daily chemo pill.  This disqualifies him from beginning the trial next week.  Zach will loose his spot in the trial and be put back on the waiting list.  Regardless of what scans tell us next week Zach wants to take a break from the chemo.  Even if the treatment IS working and scans come back looking good, it has come at a high price; Zach is worn out and and tired of being sick.  Another spot in the trial might open up in January.

Those who know me understand that I ask TONS of questions (to the point that Zach usually offers those in the room a sympathetic smile as I rattle them all off.)  When we visited Seattle in September I gathered all of the information I thought we needed.  We were told at that time that Zach could continue with chemo until a spot became available.  Never once did anyone mention he would need to be chemo free for 4 weeks before he took part in the trial.  I was livid when I learned this yesterday.  I continue to be incredibly disappointed with the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance and the oncologist.  

A couple of weeks ago I asked Oliver what he learned in the children's program at church.  He told me, "God's got it!"  I nearly broke down in tears because he is right!  I have been reminding myself these past 18 hours that God's got it.  I can't put my trust in the doctors and research staff at the SCCA.  But I can and will put my trust in God.  He has always made things abundantly clear to us during this journey.  The door to begin the trial next week closed for a reason.  I have to believe that in order to function and continue on.  

Thank you to those who have shared a video with me.  I have received 4 via email.  A wonderful friend at Eagle High School spent time at both schools yesterday to interview a few kids and I am so grateful for that.  He is also helping me format everyone and put the video together after Thanksgiving.  If you'd like to share something for Zach's surprise Christmas gift please email it to me at: ingersoll.nicole@gmail.com by November 30th.  


 My brown-eyed snow bunny!

 No free ride around here--he has got to earn his keep!

 Zach and Max snuggling at The Little Gym during a birthday party for a friend.

Thank goodness there was a car cart available at Fred Meyer--Oliver is less than pleased when there isn't one.  

 Sweet Max!

 Max helped me organize his room.

Zach and I went to see the Transiberian Orchestera last night, a wonderful gift from my mom. I have wanted to see them for years!  It was an amazing show.  

 



 

1 comment: