Friday, January 3, 2014

Devastating News

We woke up, anxious to hear from our doctor regarding the pathology results.  Zach went to morning shoot around.  The team had a game tonight.  I took the boys to my mom’s while I went to the gym.  I was in the process of leaving my mom’s house when Zach texted, asked where I was, then told me to stay at her house.  I looked at my watch and realized he had only been at practice for 30 minutes.  I knew he received a call—and the news was not good if he cut practice short.  He walked into my mom’s house, put his arms around me and said: It’s not good news.  It’s the worst-case scenario.  I have esophageal cancerChemotherapy and radiation begin immediately.  Nothing can prepare someone to hear that news.  We cried. 

The radiologist originally thought Zach had lymphoma because his lymph nodes are swollen.  But the esophageal cancer has spread and has begun to attack his lymph nodes.  His body is under attack.  We don’t know if the cancer is still localized or if it has spread to organs.  Those answers will come soon.

Zach called his family members—parents, grandparents, aunt and uncles.  He also spoke to some of my family.  He wanted family to hear the news directly from him.  I sat at his feet and cried with him and those on the other line.  I can’t begin to explain the pain and anguish in the room.  I couldn’t bear to speak with anyone so I texted a few close friends and family members. 

Zach received a call later in the afternoon from his nurse.  She works with patients who have esophageal cancer.  The process has begun.  We have an appointment with a radiation oncologist Monday.  We will be assigned a general oncologist Tuesday for chemotherapy. 

Zach wanted to coach his team tonight. He will then take a leave of absences from the team, possibly a permanent one this season, and wanted to forget about the devastating news for a couple of hours and coach.  Zach’s uncle, Dave and I attended the game.  It was pretty hard to watch.  The team won which was nice.  But as I watched Zach coach I noticed how skinny and tired he seemed. 

The cancer is always on our minds.  The news is just heartbreaking.  But God is in charge. We are in constant prayer for peace, healing and answers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment