Friday, January 17, 2014

Soggy Toilet Paper and Sonic Milkshakes

Some days start off busier than others. This morning was just one of those days. The moment I walked in the door from the gym it was game on at the Ingersoll household. I became distracted with Max during the breakfast routine.  Oliver was being a little too quiet--never a good sign. I found him in the bathroom, dipping the roll of toilet paper in the water. He would then suck the water out of the roll before dunking it in the tank again.  Definitely no Mother of the Year awards on the horizon for me!

Although he has been able to keep his nausea under control the past few days, Zach had been battling the fatigue. It is important he gets up and works out to start his day off right. Otherwise he doesn't feel motivated to do much. He didn't have an appetite today. Food is becoming a chore. He went to the St. Luke's Meridian campus to workout at their gym facility. Then he stopped by Eagle High School for lunch to eat with his friends. Zach and I spent the evening at Rocky Mtn watching the JV and Varsity games.  We joined the coaching staff afterwards for dinner.  I know Zach is in a constant haze of fatigue but it was fun for us both to socialize and pass the time.  What a great night it was!  

Tomorrow we say goodbye to Zach's chemo ball and fanny pack.  He will have a 2-week break. 

We have received so many wonderful notes of encouragement. The grandmother of a Rocky basketball player sent us the sweetest note. She is a cancer survivor. She offered to pick up our dirty laundry, take it home, fold it and return it. She also offered to sit with the little boys any time we were in a bind. What makes her offer so sweet is neither of us has ever met her. She is a complete stranger to us but now we have a bond that only a terrible disease like cancer can form between people. Her sweet offer and words of encouragement brings tears to my eyes. 

The family of a former baseball player of Zach's sent him a Sonic gift card that will likely cover the next 50 milkshakes.  They also gave me money with orders to treat myself to a massage.  Done!  My cousin and her family sent us Jeni's specialty ice cream and toppings all the way from Ohio.  The goodies came packed in dry ice along with a note that detailed how to handle the dry ice--carefully and with gloves.  I was so excited to open the package that I hurriedly found my old gardening gloves (with some of the garden still attached) and dug in.  The wildberry lavendar and salted caramel flavors are already requiring me to practice self control.  Sigh.  

My cousin Kandis sent me this verse yesterday. It was exactly what I needed to hear. "Just as I have been with Moses, I will be with you; I will not fail you or forsake you. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."
Joshua 1:5,9

I love that God commands us to be strong and courageous. No questions asked. Just do it. And that is what I will try and do. 

In closing, the Meridian Press wrote up a nice piece on the family and how the schools and community are supporting us.  It means the world to Zach and I!



What a lucky family of 4 we are. 













2 comments:

  1. What, no picture if Oliver with his toilet paper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you took a picture! I have a photo of Henry when he was about that age-supposed to be napping. I had a changing table with a side door that had a magnet lock on it where I stored the diapers and wipes and cd's for his little sound machine/cd player; He had smeared an entire tube of boudreax's butt paste all over himself (even in his eyelashes), the cd's, the dresser, I was pregnant with Charlie and had laid down to 'just rest my eyes' when it all happened. I think that every mom is right with you in the 'not earning a mother of the year' category ;)

    ReplyDelete