Thursday, January 9, 2014

Our God is the God of Miracles

Today was the day.  After we met with Dr. Zuckerman (Dan) Zach turned to me and dryly asked how we were going to make today's post funny.  I told him I didn't think that it was possible.  Some days the news will just be dark and there's no way around it.  

We received almost the worst news possible today.  Zach was diagnosed with stage 4 esophageal cancer.  We are looking at prolonging and maintaining his quality of life for as long as possible.  Neither Zach, Nathaniel or myself asked how long that might be.  Dan told us he won't say that stage 4 esophageal cancer is not curable, but it is going to be tough.  The saving grace that keeps Dan from saying Zach is not curable is the cancer has not spread to the liver, lungs or the brain.  

Some cancers have clear, definitive and well-researched studies that point to a single regiment to give a cancer patient.  For esophageal cancer there is not one single standard of care. No one has been able to definitively show there is 1 perfect regiment.  Zach was given 2 options to battle this cancer: a 2-drug treatment (FULFOX) or a 3-drug treatment (DCF).  The 2-drug treatment won't cause hair loss, the nausea is manageable with drugs and Zach would be able to continue to work.  But it is a conservative approach for the stage of cancer Zach has.  

The 3-drug treatment is very aggressive, extremely toxic, will tear Zach up and may lead to a hospitalization. DCF will nearly wipe out Zach's immune system so he is at a high risk for infection.  Even given this information there wasn't much of a discussion; Zach is ready to tackle this with everything he has and everything his body can take. Dan said he wants to "push the envelope in Zach's case for what would typically be done for a stage 4 patient because he is young and fit." 

The chemotherapy treatment of DCF starts next week.  It will last 3 months with 4, 3-week cycles.  
  • Day 1: The D and C drugs are given during an 8-hour day at the MSTI clinic.
  • Days 1-4: The F drug is given as a continuous infusion.  Zach will have a "chemo ball" that he will have to wear in a fanny pack (insert bad 80s joke here).  
  • Days 5-21: Recover from the chemotherapy and gear up for the next cycle.  
Week 1 of each cycle will be the hardest in terms of fatigue and nausea. Week 2 Zach will be at the highest risk of infection.  Week 3 will be the most manageable.  But each cycle of chemotherapy will be harder and harder for Zach to completely recoup his strength from.  Zach will tackle 3 months of chemotherapy.  Then another PET scan will verify the cancer cells are responding positively to the treatment.  Radiation will then be used in conjunction with more chemo to kill more of the cancer cells.  If the cancer does not respond the way Dan would like then we look at leaving the state for clinical trials. 

Zach's goal is to face this cancer head on.  He plans to take the next 3 months off of work in order to deal with the side effects.  God-willing he overcomes the odds and can work some based on how he is feeling.  Zach has come to grips with his situation and wants to do everything he can to attack the cancer.  For the next 3 months we need your prayers for successful eradication of the cancer and that the side effects don't destroy Zach.  

Nathaniel will fly back to Louisville on Saturday.  His leaving will be difficult on us.  We can't wait until he returns…hopefully soon and permanently and we are keeping that in prayer too.

As I finish tonight's blog and listen to Zach and his brothers laugh and joke around, I am hopeful.  We are his team and he can't succeed without us.  It is scary to be on this journey.  But I'm thankful many are sharing it with us.  I believe our God is the God of miracles.  

19 comments:

  1. You can do it Zach, kick the cancers butt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you guys are so amazing. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers and faith are powerful things! Trust in God's will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. prayers are with you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, Zach. I will be praying for you and your little family. Thinking of ya. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm do sad to hear this. Praying for you and your family! (Emilee's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WIll keep you and your family in my prayers Zach.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zach, I am so sad to hear this terrible news. You are a great friend and glad I had the privilege to work with you. I will be praying for you. Kick some cancer butt my friend. Your friends, joe and Lezlee and Riley Greatorex

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zach, I am incredibly sad to hear about this. I will pray extra hard for you and your family tonight. This blog has been all over Facebook. I'm telling you this so you know that you have a tremendous amout of support and prayers from people that have known you thru the decades. More people than you know. Stay strong, and know that you have an army of people behind you, rooting you on.
    Lanee (Ogata) Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lanee, Thank you for your prayers and words of encouragement!
    Kris Tucker Cools

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are one of the best teachers I have ever had and you actually made history interesting to me. I am praying for your health and hoping you can come back to class(:
    -Student from your 4B History

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praying for you and your family, Mr. Ingersoll. You were one of my favorite teachers in high school and a great coach! You made history actually fun. I'm glad I was lucky enough to have you for two classes and as a coach.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praying for you, Zach, and your sweet family. Christopher Reeves once said, "Once you choose hope, anything is possible." My prayer is that you feel hope...that you trust in our Lord...that you believe in His mighty power...that you feel His love for you. Our God is definitely a God of Miracles!! ~Rae Peppley

    ReplyDelete
  14. My prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wil keep my prayers in for you zach from your friend john frazier from eagle high school

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wrote a long post and then erased it. I just want to say that there are cancer cures and doctors will not look at them because they are not 'medically tested'. Cancer can not grow in an alkaline body. Change your diet. search online for changing your diet from acid to alkaline. Drink baking soda water every day. There is a cure. http://www.cancertutor.com/simoncini/#.UtbkVvuC5dg
    I will pray for you and continue to pray for you. There are also essential oils that will help. Just please don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. 2 Tblsp of cold pressed linseed oil every day; bathes the esophagus.(health food store) Powerful stuff.
    My kids are at EHS and think so highly of you and we will all be praying for you daily. God be with you and keep you all strong! <><

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mr. Ingersoll, you are such an amazing person and you have so many students that look up to you. My heart sunk when I heard about this a few weeks ago and I can't stop thinking about it, but I know that if anyone can get through this.. it's you. Thank you for always being an awesome teacher and coach to everyone. I am praying for you and your family. Our God is definitely a God of miracles. I hope to see you soon!
    With love, Mckaela Hadjes

    ReplyDelete
  19. Zach, our prayers are with you. Both you and I are in the same boat. I was diagnosed in August 2013 with stage 4. Since then I have had a regime of chemo and radiation and I am now starting my 5th 3 week cycle of chemo. I feel a lot better now then I did when we started. If I were you, I would opt for the 3 drug chemo and attack it aggressively. So far, the side effects have been minimal and the tumors have shrunk by 50% and have stopped growing. I plan on beating this thing regardless of the odds. I have completely changed my diet and \i have not had a drink of alcohol since diagnosed. You can do it - you have a wonderful looking family that makes the fight worth it! God bless!

    ReplyDelete