Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Chemo Fatigue and Other Exciting News

Today was busy but void of any big news. We met with Delisa, our social worker, and toured the Mountain States Tumor Institute (MSTI) facility at the St. Luke's campus in Meridian where Zach will receive chemotherapy. That was hard for me to see; it was surreal to see the chairs Zach will sit in in a matter of days.  I didn't see any young patients like Zach.  

Delisa talked to us about chemotherapy's side effects and which resources the hospital offers to combat them--art therapy, strength and conditioning, massage and acupuncture.  There's also a drug available for nearly every side effect...except fatigue.  Zach was relieved to hear he should fight the fatigue and live life as normally as possible--continue to exercise and work as much as he possible rather than succumb to the weariness.  She described chemo fatigue as though one is moving through sand.  

Delisa also helped us understand what our needs are going to be in the coming months.  After we meet with Dr. Zuckerman on Thursday and get the game plan for treatment we will have an even better idea of what our needs might be.  Zach and I have received your generous offers to help.  We are so appreciative and humbled by your phone calls, text messages and emails.  Some family members and friends are helping me brainstorm a centralized way to share with you what our needs are.  

Nathaniel joined us for our appointments.  He cuddled Max and walked the hallways looking for cute, single nurses who would be drawn to his impressive baby whispering skills.  



I was thankful Max waited to blow out his diaper and ruin his cute outfit while I was holding him 5 minutes later.  Not sure Uncle Nate is quite ready for diaper duty. 

Cancer sure puts things in perspective.  It makes me wish I chose to bite my tongue more often, let Zach win arguments (even though I was usually right), not stress about the small stuff (who cares if company is coming over and I have no idea what I'm going to feed them??)  and enjoyed even the mundane moments in life.  

I'm glad I can start now.







5 comments:

  1. Dear Nicole,
    Sara told me about you and Zach's news and I have been praying and thinking of you and your family. I read in this post that you were brainstorming ways to centralize your needs. Have you heard of Meal Train? It is a great site for people to sign up for needs...the Meal Train "Plus" option is $10 but allows for coordination of multiple needs. Have a close friend manage it for you!
    http://www.mealtrain.com/?a=aw&gclid=COOny8b17rsCFa9cMgod4hEAYA

    Take care,
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just going to comment about volunteer spot, because it gives a way to volunteer for more than just meals. Www.volunteerspot.com thinking of you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zach, My mom told me the news and I have been thinking of you since. First, I must say, I can't believe Nathanial. I still remember him and Nick in grade school, he is so grown up. I guess it has been a long time since the lunch time football games and our BIG crushes we had on you :o) I am not sure if you knew this, but I am also a social worker at St. Luke's, and would love to help out anyway I can. Delisa is wonderful and I am sure you guys will love her. It looks like you have a great support system, which is always good in times like these. Preying for you and your family.
    Bridgette Garidel

    ReplyDelete